Monday, August 8, 2011

A longer than planned visit to Elkhart, Indiana.

After a short stop in White Pidgeon, Michigan to have our hydraulic levelers fixed and upgraded, we headed to Elkhart, Indiana on Thursday to the Mor-Ryde plant to have our Teton suspension checked.  We've been having uneven wear on our RV tires, and another Teton owner suggested we have the suspension checked by the manufacturer.  I must say right off the bat that the folks at Mor-Ryde are the nicest, most accommodating people that we have ever dealt with. It was a good decision to have the system checked since many suspension parts were worn and the three axles have settled so that our wheels are no longer tracking properly.  So after some discussion with the Mor-Ryde folks, we decided to tear out the old and bring in the new.  We're putting on a new Mor-Ryde IS suspension system and new Dexter disk breaks.  All that work takes a few days, and despite being busy, the folks here started the work on Friday morning at 7 AM.  They know that we're trying to get to the Badlands next week.  Of course that means that we're spending 4 nights inside a building hooked up to their electric.  It's a little strange to say the least to be sitting in our rig with only huge hydraulic jacks holding it up.  No wheels or axles.

And then...
Yesterday morning (Sunday) we went out to explore the area and returned for lunch.  At about one o'clock we heard rain on the roof of the building.  Hard rain.  We walked to the nearest door and saw that it was a torrential downpour.  We watched for a while and walked back to the RV.  Then we both heard a snap and turned toward the center wall.  We didn't hear anything for a minute or two as we walked around trying to figure out what it was.  I walked into the front building toward the street and Val was in the back.  A minute later all hell broke loose when there was a huge crash as a good 50 feet of the 16 inch main drain pipe for the roof run-off collapsed.  Two 6 inch pipes feeding the run-off from both buildings now looked like opened fire hydrants as they pumped all of the rain into our building.  I immediately called Ben, the service manager, and he came over within about 10 minutes.  But there was really nothing that could be done.  By the time the rain stopped, the place was flooded.  It's funny that we had made sure that the run-off from our air-conditioners was collected in buckets so that we didn't get water on the floor of the garage.  Needless to say, I was concerned about walking around in water that at some point could come in contact with electricity.  And Ben shared the same concern.  So we packed up some belongings and headed to the nearest Holiday Inn Express which is where I sit now typing this.
The big question is how soon they can get the water cleaned up and start again on our rig.  We'll know more later this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment